Guardians of the Past
Amphail is a village on the Long Road with a population of 600, supporting 250 more in outlying farms. The population is mostly humans, but there are elves, half-elves and a smattering of dwarves and halflings.
Amphail is named after one of Waterdeep’s early warlords, Amphail the Just, who had estates here. His spirit, the “Ghost of Amphail,” is said to patrol the streets.
The Tomb of the Maiden King, a burial site long sought by treasure seekers was found in 1365 by a local band of adventurers, the Guardians of the Past. They overcame the magical defenses and destroyed the undead servitors of Banite priestess who turned into a ghast.
The village is three days’ ride north of Waterdeep. Its main trade is growing food for Waterdeep, but it is also known for its outstanding horses (Amphail Grays and glossy black chargers), and due to this it suffers from a stench of horse manure during the warmer months.
The wealthier inhabitants or landowners of Amphail are generally the ones who breed horses. The largest horse breeder is the Roaringhorn family of Waterdeep, but others include Amcathra, Ilzimmer, Hawkwinter, Jhansczil and Tarm, as well as individual breeders Rorth Baldasker, Ohm Oglyntyr and Elraghona Selember. Although not breeders, the Eagleshield family makes tack for the horses and operates a farm for the treatment of sick animals.
The village has no standing militia of its own, but benefits from Waterdeep guards who patrol from Rassalantar.
The village is led by Lord Warder Briiathor Alougarr, a muscular Tethyrian loyal to Piergeiron the Paladinson. Also notable are the 8ft-tall Dlara, a Chultan wrestler, Mother Gothal who runs Mother Gothal’s, a festhall, and Krivvin Shamblestar, the proprietor of The Stag-Horned Flagon.
•Ammakyl Flowers and Foods
•Eagleshield Fine Horse Leathers
•Elraghona Selember’s Ranch
•Maerlbar Eggs & Fresh Fowl
•The Stag-Horned Flagon
•The Stone Stallion